Sunday, October 14, 2012

Two months

Two months now have gone by since knee surgery on August 10.  Physical therapy continues as does pain medication taken nearly every morning.  I still think things are going about as well as I could have asked for, especially given my initial reluctance to have the surgery.

Physical therapy is Monday, Wednesday, and Thursday, normally for about two hours after work on each night.  I get the impression from the therapists I've been working with that my rehab is progressing well, and I might be ahead of schedule, although no one has come out directly and said that to me.

A lot of the exercises involve some unusual motion and trying to keep my balance while flexing my knee.  At this point I've got my range of motion back and now trying to build up strength in my knee, quadriceps, and calf.  My thigh muscles doesn't feel like a bowl of jello anymore and there's some newly acquired definition in the muscle that I'm pretty happy about.

Morning still suck, and not just because I have to go to work.  Most everything on my right leg is sore when I wake up and I am still relying on my pain medication, although in a lesser dose than I was using a month ago.  I do some light stretching throughout the day at work and try to get up from my desk as often as possible to stretch out and keep the blood moving.  After sitting for more than an hour I can really feel things tighten up and I'll take a lap around the office.

One of the good things about my office building is that there are two floors and I have to go downstairs a few times each day for miscellaneous reasons.  Going downstairs is one of the toughest motions to get back after surgery, it's pretty amazing how tough it really is to bend your knee like that.  Definitely something I've always taken for granted but it's becoming easier all the time.  I plan on continuing PT for at least the rest of 2012 and then deciding whether or not I should continue supervised therapy or just start exercising on my own.  To be determined.  To be continued.

No comments:

Post a Comment