Saturday, August 11, 2012

Day 2 - The Aftermath

Day 2 started quite early.  By 2:30am I couldn't sleep, the pain in my knee was just too much to just sleep through.  I had probably yakked up the majority on the pain meds I took after dinner so I figured, despite the previous nausea I had to get some more.  I got up slowly, turned a few lights on and crutched into the kitchen.  I knew my stomach was near empty and since you aren't supposed to take this pain pills on an empty stomach I poured some water and grabbed some bread to make toast.  I nibbled at the toast, it didn't taste great and even smelled bad to me.  I drank the water slowly, refilled the glass and decided to go for only 1.5 pills this time.

I crutched back to bed, hoping this pills would kick in within a half hour and I could get some decent sleep.  As it so happened, this was not the case.  After about 15 minutes more nausea set in and I figured it was just a matter of time before that bread and water was on its way back up.  My dad had the foresight to put a 5 gallon bucket by my bedside for just such an occurrence.  I had a tough time even leaning up as my upper body, specifically my stomach muscles and back had taken a beating in the first round of vomiting.  I was sore all over but that didn't stop me from leaning over the bed and ejecting my recent bread and water. 

The rest of the night, I kind of just laid in bed  I had trouble getting comfortable due to knee pain and wearing a large, annoying knee brace.  I read some news articles on my phone.  It was just announced Mitt Romney named Paul Ryan from Wisconsin as his running mate in the 2012 Presidential Election.  So I read up on that and went out to the kitchen about 5am to try to drink some water and keep it down.  I had some strawberry Italian ice with it, and things weren't too bad.  I took my brace off and did some "walking" around with the crutches.

I laid back down and iced my knee, took some more pain meds and just let time pass while reviewing my fantasy baseball team.  I knew at some point I was going to have to try to keep some solid food down and I knew there were two leftovers pieces of pizza in the fridge.  I decided to go for it. I got up went to the fridge and got a glass of water and took down the pizza in no time.  Felt pretty good too, no immediate queasiness, no urge to hobble to the trash can.  Felt so good I decided to have a couple Nutter Butters that I saw in the fridge with some milk.  All this eating kinda wore me out.  I went back to lay down, fell asleep and woke up around 1pm.  I woke up feeling half decent, a welcome change.

I spent a lot of the day laying down, drinking water, and just surfing the Internet.  I started walking around more and putting pressure on my leg.  I was able to bend my knee and keep it flexed and then straighten it back out small stuff but you have to start somewhere.  The pain meds have been effective and I don't have any more nausea.  The knee itself it pretty sore, probably from moving it around throughout the day, but that's fine, it's to be expected.  Tomorrow, I have to change the bandage and I will get my first look at my new knee.  I know its going to be swollen as can be.  I'm interested to see where the incisions were made and I'm going to try to get some more direct ice on it.  Icing it through and a bandage and gauze just doesn't seem to have much of an effect, I don't think the coldness can get through.  Anyways, until tomorrow...



No comments:

Post a Comment